About Me

My photo
I live in the suburbs of Long Island, NY with my loving husband, and two great kids. I long for a simpler life, at a slower pace! Follow me, as I try my hand at growing my own food, tending to my hens and our rabbit, gardening and experimenting with all things farmgirlish!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Doings 9/30/12

Wow, I cant believe it is the last day of September! I also can't believe that it has been 6+ weeks since I have been on here and posted anything! I knew that would happen- life get so busy and things we enjoy such as this sometimes have to be put on the back burner.
Well- summer has ended, and the kids are settled back into school. So far the school year is going well- Praise God!
The gardens have slowed down- I only have eggplant and bell peppers still coming steadily. I did not manage to plant any fall crops at all, but I am sure I can still get some lettuce going and use my little "hoop house" to cover it when necessary. I also need to get outside and "winterize" both the chicken coop and the rabbit hutch before the end of October. For now I have been enjoying all of the colors of autumn. The mums are starting to burst open and show their colors, so pretty! I picked a nice bouquet the other day- I just love the combination of colors:

Yesterday we went to the Long Island Fair at Old Bethpage Village Restoration. It was a fabulous Fall day, spent just the way I like! Here are some pictures of our day: This is Gloria spinning wool- so neat!

These are all herbs that have been preserved and made into oils and vinegars.

There was even a guess the weight of the giant pumpkin contest! What do you think this big ole pumpkin weighs in at?
We had a great day, and I look forward to going back again next year! I even tried my hand at quilting, and hmmm...... I can sense it is something that I would really enjoy, and hope that I can find a way to make time to give it a whirl. At least on a small scale- like quilting hot pads, and placemats etc.

Next week we are off to Old Westbury Gardens for a nice Fall surprise...
be sure and check back to see what we experienced!
I want to leave you with a wonderful poem that I received in the mail courtesy of one of my sweet Farmgirl Sisters-

October gave a party
The leaves by hundreds came.
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread the carpet.
And everything was grand.
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

---George Cooper---



Have a wonderful Fall week!

2 comments:

  1. That is a HUGE pumpkin! I wouldn't know what to even guess that at. Does "REally big" count? :)

    ReplyDelete