About Me

My photo
I live in the suburbs of Long Island, NY with my loving husband, and two great kids. I long for a simpler life, at a slower pace! Follow me, as I try my hand at growing my own food, tending to my hens and our rabbit, gardening and experimenting with all things farmgirlish!

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Doings 8/5/12

Today is Sunday, August 5th, 2012.  The first Sunday in August. August is bitter sweet for me- it means that Summer is half over- which is sad, but it is also the month that my son was born, 14 years ago! Wow- they're not kidding when they say children grow up fast!
My morning started out by meeting my Aunt and Cousin for tea at one of my favorite nature spots...Wertheim Nature Preserve. They have a huge, beautiful covered patio, where you can just sit and watch the beautiful birds...yellow finches, cardinals, black capped chickadees, red-winged black birds and even hummingbirds! Speaking of hummingbirds- I have been trying my best to attract them to my yard- but so far have had no luck.
 

I am hoping that the other birds get the word out that there is a nice feeder waiting for them along with several hibiscus plants full of flowers!
I guess I will wait patiently and (hopefully) see some soon!

The gardens are producing nicely. Today I picked eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and green bell peppers. I chopped and froze 3 quart size ziploc bags of peppers to enjoy over the winter, and my daughter and I also made "basil ice cubes". We harvested basil and added the leaves and olive oil and water to the blender to make a puree, which we then poured into ice cube trays. After a few hours we will pop them out and place them in a ziploc bag, so that we can just toss them into our soups, and cooking over the winter.

 Overall, it was a productive and relaxing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment